Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Wonder Years front man, Dan "soupy" Campbell, shares his beliefs on organized religion

Taking Back Sunday School: The Wonder Years’ Dan “Soupy” Campbell clarifies his thoughts on religion
“If we're all just Christians or Lions, then I think I'd rather be on the side with sharper teeth. I don't need saving.” With lyrics like this from the song "I won't say the lord's prayer" people might think the singer for The Wonder Years, Dan Campbell, might just have a bone to pick with religion.

Dan Campbell goes to state in the interview with Alternative Press; “In any religion, one of the pillars or principles is, 'This is the correct religion and there are no gods but your god.' So to a certain extent, anyone who believes in Christianity or anyone that believes in Islam or Judaism is at the same time saying that the Islamic faith is wrong—which is pretty much the same thing I'm saying [by believing in no particular faith at all]. I believe all of these things I've been brought up to believe and have been pushed on me since I was younger; they're all wrong and false. Not that every principle of the religion is bad, but the crux of it is that I've been lied to.”

He also takes a swing at the Westboro Baptists in the song “Dynamite Shovel" he says,

“Rest stop in Tennessee, I found where the ignorant fucks of the world meet for donuts and coffee spewing rhetoric I thought was reserved for Westboro Baptist and lunatics like that. These small town minds stay small. The world evolved so stay in your shithole. We're moving on.” I can appreciate the fact that he is speaking his mind and talking about what he doesn’t see as right in the world and taking on religious ideals, and The Westboro Baptists.


The Wonder Years--"I won't say the lords prayer"


The Wonder Years--"Dynamite Shovel".

Alternative Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment